Re: Buggy test for 8.3.1 Collapsing margins: table-margin-004

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 19:42:37 -0700
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
Cc: "Řyvind Stenhaug" <oyvinds@opera.com>

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100727/xhtml1/table-margin-004.xht
> (Chapter 8, author Ian Hickson)
>
> First of all, this fails because div > * matches both the .table <div>s
> and the <tr>s, and those margins don't collapse with each other because
> of
> a border in between.

True.

> Second, the markup is invalid (which is why the HTML version passes on
> the
> browsers I tried; typically the HTML parsers wouldn't add the TRs and
> TDs
> to the document tree but parse it as <div class="table">Test</div>
> instead).

The HTML version
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100727/html4/table-margin-004.htm
is not perfectly passed, even in Opera 10.60. There is a greater gap (at
the top) between the blue border at the top and the first black stripe
than between the last black stripe and the bottom blue border. The gap
differential is caused because the thin solid silver has not been taken
into account when establishing the height of the blue-bordered wrapper
div: it should have been 188px, not 180px.

I suggest these as replacements:

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/table-margin-004-gt.html

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/css21testsuite/table-margin-004-gt.xhtml

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (beta 2; July 27th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/