Re: List of questionable testcases on font and vertical-align

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:15:46 -0700
To: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
> Hello all,
>
> List of questionable testcases on font and vertical-align:

(...)

> 6-
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/20100727/html4/vertical-align-115.htm
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/20100727/html4/vertical-align-116.htm
>
> I have explained why these tests are incorrect in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Feb/0030.html

Correct links in beta 2:

Vertical-align with a keyword, 'sub'
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100727/html4/vertical-align-115.htm

Vertical-align with a keyword, 'super'
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100727/html4/vertical-align-116.htm

7-
Vertical-align: text-top; meta-test
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100727/html4/c544-valgn-002.htm

Vertical-align: middle; meta-test
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100727/html4/c544-valgn-003.htm

Vertical-align: top; meta-test
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100727/html4/c544-valgn-004.htm

These 3 tests are questionable because the user has to compare vertical
alignment on several elements, without reliable (pixel accuracy) mean.
It would be easier if there was only 1 background image where all the
image top would be aligned.

The 'vertical-align: middle' meta-test c544-valgn-003.htm is definitely
more questionable: your neighbour, your bus driver, etc.. would have a
difficult time trying to establish if that test is passed in several
browsers.

I just think there ought to be a better way for an human user to test,
vertify accuracy and compliance in those tests.

CSS 2.1 test suite (beta 2; July 27th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/