Feedback on 2 Microsoft submitted tests on outline

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 10:32:36 -0500
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org

There may be a problem with a few Microsoft submitted tests on outline.

Outline border is not necessarly *immediately* surrounding the border-box.
The spec unfortunately says

The outline may be drawn starting just outside the border edge.

while it used to say

The outline is drawn starting just outside the border edge.

The difference means that an user agent may have a default, arbitrary
outline-offset of "n" pixels.

This makes some tests not entirely correct or not entirely reliable, like

(the complete overlapping of border-bottom: 10px solid red; is not
assured, is not certain/guaranteed)

the assert
border." />
in this test
may not be perfectly exact, not perfectly true. Right now, the word
"directly" is somewhat questionable here. Am I nitpicking too far here?

I wish the CSS 2.1 spec would intentionally and deliberately say
The outline is drawn starting just outside the border edge.
meaning/suggesting that outline-offset is assumed to be 0 by default.

regards, Gérard