Re: MS test suite at-charset-039 bug

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:21:00 +0100
To: "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>, "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 17:16:56 +0100, Arron Eicholz
<Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com> wrote:
> The test case is actually correct. The @charset does not match the
> encoding of the file which is UTF-8. In that case even though the
> @charset is parsed and is determined "as specified" it has to throw out
> the style sheet because the parser does not find an appropriate @charset
> at the beginning of the UTF-8 file.

But it is nowhere declared to be UTF-8 so the browser does in fact not
know the encoding.

> Here is some of the text from section 4.4 bullet 1 under the table.
>
> "If an encoding is detected based on one of the entries in the table
> above marked 'as specified'," the file is since it has '@charset "Big5"'
> (matches row 3 of the table). So far everything is fine...
>
> "the user agent ignore the style sheet if it does not parse an
> appropriate @charset rule at the beginning of the stream of characters."
> This is where the file needs to get thrown out because the file itself
> is UTF-8 and the @charset is Big5. With that mismatch the @charset is
> not appropriate and the file is then thrown out completely.

How does the browser know it is UTF-8? As far as I can tell the only
information the browser has is that it is Big5.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>