Re: Scrollbars, olive color, maximum viewport width

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:26:08 -0800
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
Cc: "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> 1- Scrollbar(s) versus scrolling mechanism

[snipped]

>> 2- olive as a named color keyword

[snipped]

>> 3- Maximum viewport width?
>>
>> There is a minimum viewport width.
>>
>> "The device has a viewport width of at least 640px (approx)."
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/#uncommon
>>
>> Should there be a maximum viewport width assumed?
>> Thanks to Hilbrand Edskes, I realized that some tests involving
>> overflowing document width box may fail if browser window is maximized
>> and if the implicit maximum window viewport width is assumed to be
>> under
>> 2000px.
>
> Hmm, that's a good point. I think our tests should be written to
> work on the widest range of devices possible. That said, we do
> need to assume some minimum and maximum range. I will ask some
> mobile people what is a good minimum assumption for the Common
> Assumptions. What would you recommend as a good maximum? (Something
> that will still be valid in 6 years. ;)

I have/use a very modest monitor screen. But, from understanding
Hilbrand Edskes emails, a screen width of 2048px is a minimum for a
maximum.

For determining what would be a good maximum, I leave such decision to
you, Fantasai.

Screen Resolution Statistics at Univ. of Texas at Austin
http://www.utexas.edu/teamweb/reports/screen_resolution/index.php?log=Mar2009.log

W3Counter stats
http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

Display resolution at Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

and

Quad eXtended Graphics Array (QXGA) at Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WQXGA

are good sources

WQXGA (Wide Quad eXtended Graphics Array) is a display resolution of
2560×1600 pixels.

(requiring special monitors for medical diagnostic work) WQSXGA (Wide
Quad Super eXtended Graphics Array) describes a display standard that
can support a resolution up to 3200 x 2048 pixels, assuming a 1.56:1
(25:16) aspect ratio.

QSXGA (Quad Super Extended Graphics Array) is a display resolution of
2560×2048 pixels with a 5:4 aspect ratio.

> The >640px assumption is imho inappropriately large; it wouldn't
> work on most mobile devices, for example.

Correct.

> It's listed there because,
> again, some old tests in the test suite are written to assume it and
> don't say so... if you find any, we should update them.
>
> ~fantasai

regards, Gérard