Re: Scrollbars, olive color, maximum viewport width

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 15:26:08 -0800
To: public-css-testsuite@w3.org
Cc: "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

> Gérard Talbot wrote:
>> Hello all,
>> 1- Scrollbar(s) versus scrolling mechanism

>> 2- olive as a named color keyword

>> 3- Maximum viewport width?
>> There is a minimum viewport width.
>> "The device has a viewport width of at least 640px (approx)."
>> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/#uncommon
>> Should there be a maximum viewport width assumed?
>> Thanks to Hilbrand Edskes, I realized that some tests involving
>> overflowing document width box may fail if browser window is maximized
>> and if the implicit maximum window viewport width is assumed to be
>> under
>> 2000px.
> Hmm, that's a good point. I think our tests should be written to
> work on the widest range of devices possible. That said, we do
> need to assume some minimum and maximum range. I will ask some
> mobile people what is a good minimum assumption for the Common
> Assumptions. What would you recommend as a good maximum? (Something
> that will still be valid in 6 years. ;)

I have/use a very modest monitor screen. But, from understanding
Hilbrand Edskes emails, a screen width of 2048px is a minimum for a

For determining what would be a good maximum, I leave such decision to
you, Fantasai.

Screen Resolution Statistics at Univ. of Texas at Austin

W3Counter stats

Display resolution at Wikipedia

Quad eXtended Graphics Array (QXGA) at Wikipedia

are good sources

WQXGA (Wide Quad eXtended Graphics Array) is a display resolution of
2560×1600 pixels.

(requiring special monitors for medical diagnostic work) WQSXGA (Wide
Quad Super eXtended Graphics Array) describes a display standard that
can support a resolution up to 3200 x 2048 pixels, assuming a 1.56:1
(25:16) aspect ratio.

QSXGA (Quad Super Extended Graphics Array) is a display resolution of
2560×2048 pixels with a 5:4 aspect ratio.

> The >640px assumption is imho inappropriately large; it wouldn't
> work on most mobile devices, for example.

> It's listed there because,
> again, some old tests in the test suite are written to assume it and
> don't say so... if you find any, we should update them.
> ~fantasai

regards, Gérard