RE: Importing tests from one suite to another

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 19:50:21 +0000
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

fantasia said:
>    In each test we have a link to the appropriate spec section.
>    What if instead of independent source directories for each
>    CSS3 module collected together all CSS tests, and each test
>    had links to the appropriate spec sections for each spec they
>    tested? Then the build scripts for each test suite could
>    trawl the set of all tests and build only the tests that
>    apply to that particular test suite.

The disadvantage with this approach is that it requires someone to manually modify each test to add the new spec link at some point -- probably when it goes to CR.  For instance someone should now modify all the (applicable) CSS1 tests to point to the right 2.1 sections.

I can't think of a better way to manage this problem, though.  We certainly don't want to maintain multiple instances of the same test.

Best wishes,

Melinda