Re: [CSS2.1] float positioning rules

On Wednesday 2008-11-12 03:55 -0600, Robert Stam wrote:
> According to the rules that govern the behavior of floats (section
> 9.5.1), we would expect the floating div, in the example below, to be
> positioned at the same top position as the paragraph. It satisfies rule
> 8 (placing a floating box as high as possible) and violates none of the
> rules. This seems awkward, but also differs from other major
> implementations.
>
> Can anybody clarify on this matter? Are there any anonymous boxes
> created around floats to ease the formatting?

It would not be as high as the paragraph, because of rule 4:

# A floating box's outer top may not be higher than the top of its
# containing block. When the float occurs between two collapsing
# margins, the float is positioned as if it had an otherwise empty
# anonymous block parent taking part in the flow. The position of
# such a parent is defined by the rules in the section on margin
# collapsing.

-David