Re: Licensing

Rigo Wenning wrote:
> Fantasai,
>
> I have taken notice of the release of the test cases by Microsoft.

Good.

> If Microsoft releases test cases under a certain license ...
> I prefer taking my time.

You didn't answer my two questions:
  >> What's holding you guys up?
  >> And when can we expect resolution of this situation?

Can you answer them, please?

> Note well that the CSS testsuite already contains a marked up
> distinction between tests and harness that can be leveraged in a
> license allowing to change the harness, but not the tests.

Being able to change the harness scripts doesn't help if the test files
themselves need to be modified as part of harnessing the tests. For
example, the MWI's harness adds navigation buttons to the tests.

Changing the harness also doesn't solve the problem of being able to
create simplified and/or derived versions of the W3C tests to expand
test coverage or focus on a specific bug. As I've noted before open
source projects like Mozilla essentially publish every testcase they
use, either in their bug system or their regression test system, both
of which are public. Restricting their ability to publish modified
testcases effectively restricts their ability to modify the testcase
for any project-internal use.