[CSS21] white-space default on :before and :after (was Re: Microsoft contributing test cases to the CSS WG)

[ moving to www-style from public-css-testsuite; please reply there ]

On Wednesday 2008-03-05 11:35 -0800, L. David Baron wrote:
> I think Chapter_4/escaped-newline-001.htm is wrong (the spec
> requires a result that causes the test to fail) in that it assumes
> that an escaped newline should cause a newline.  The entire test
> *should* show up on one line, since the escaped newline is just
> whitespace, and there's no white-space: pre.  See:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/generate.html#content
> which says:
> # Authors may include newlines in the generated content by writing
> # the "\A" escape sequence in one of the strings after the 'content'
> # property. This inserted line break is still subject to the
> # 'white-space' property.

> Chapter_12/content-white-space-001.htm is incorrect for the same
> reason as Chapter_4/escaped-newline-001.htm (above).

To respond to myself here, the spec suggests *informatively* in two
places that :before and :after should default to pre-line (although
in one of them, for HTML only, which seems bizarre):
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/sample.html
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/text.html#propdef-white-space
but it never says so normatively.

If we actually want this behavior, it should be stated normatively
(and then the tests would be correct).  If we don't, we should
probably take out the examples.

-David