Re: Licensing

Hi Ian,

On Friday 11 January 2008, Ian Hickson wrote:
You said initially:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2008Jan/0013.html
Yes. I'm saying that I would not be willing to license my tests to the
W3C under a different license than the 3-clause BSD, MIT, or Apache
v2 licenses.

> > > This is incorrect, and shows a somewhat fundamental
> > > misunderstanding of copyright and license law.
> >
> > ...says the lawyer
>
> I actually consulted with my team's IP lawyer, expert in open
> source software licenses, and he assures me that you are indeed
> incorrect in your assertion here. In fact his exact words were
> "this guy doesn't even make any sense". I can only assume you are
> misunderstanding the situation.

I misread your statement as "not license to W3C". If you say "license
to W3C under 3-clause BSD, MIT, or Apache v2 licenses, this is just
fine and a non-issue as it gives sufficient rights to W3C for
re-publication in its testsuite. As the testsuite will be a
derivative work of collection with rights on its own, only the
original parts will be one of the three licenses and the rest will be
W3C document license. All three licenses will permit that.. So sorry
for making noise as I thought you were discriminating more than you
really intended.

Now let's go back to the real issues.

Best,

Rigo