Re: Licensing

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:21:53 +0100
To: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
CC: ian@hixie.ch, alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com, bert@w3.org, public-css-testsuite@w3.org

Rigo Wenning wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> Yes. I'm saying that I would not be willing to license my tests to
>> the W3C under a different license than the 3-clause BSD, MIT, or
>> Apache v2 licenses.
>
> By doing so, you're not compliant to any of the licenses you mention
> anymore. So Google would have to refuse your tests too.

While those 3 licences would allow the tests to be used in projects with
alternative licences [1], they do not allow them to be re-licensed under
a different licence, which, if I understand correctly, the W3C would do
if they included the tests in the offical test suite.

[1] Note that that Apache v2 is incompatible with GPLv2, so I wouldn't
     recommend using that one.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/