Re: MWI Test Harness for CSS

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:17:31 -0700
To: "Berfanger, David" <david.berfanger@hp.com>
CC: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>

Berfanger, David wrote:
> Thanks to fantasai for opening this thread.
>
> I am said volunteer from HP.
>
> Since the initial wish list, one change and one addition to the
> wish list have been requested/discussed:
>
> The change to the list is to use <object> rather than <iframe>
> to contain the test and pass/fail buttons;

To contain the test. The pass-fail buttons need to be outside the
<object> or they won't show up. :)

Tantek pointed to the CSS1 test suite pages as an example:
   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS1/20070302/sec15.htm
The <object> contains a link to the tests, so if the UA doesn't
support <object> the link is offered as a fallback.

We can replace the link navigation at the top with the pass/fail
buttons. (I can create a flat file database that will provide
the test title and any other metadata that's necessary: I don't
want the harness to depend on parsing the tests themselves.)

I've loaded the wishlist into the wiki:
   http://csswg.inkedblade.net/test/harness
Let me know if I missed anything. (Or you can edit it yourself. ;)

> The addition to the list is to offer editable text fields, so
> test results can be entered for tests that were conducted on user
> agents that differ from the one being used to enter the test data.
>
> Also, the new test harness will need a database/php server similar
> to the Mobile Web Initiative.
>
> Can Dominique, or anyone else, help with setting this up?
>
> Finally, I'm taking suggestions on how best to collaborate on this
> development effort, in addition to posting to this public mailing
> list.

Well, you can post sample output here for template critiques. For
the code itself, it would be good to get it into a publicly-accessible
VCS repository. Dominique can probably set you up with dev.w3.org CVS.

~fantasai