Re: high DPI tests

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 00:18:21 -0700
To: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
CC: Anjali Parikh <anjalip@windows.microsoft.com>, "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

Arron Eicholz wrote:
> Elika,
> We have been mulling around a few ideas about how to make tests work in
> any DPI setting. We have come to the conclusion that we either need to
> use a ‘highDPI’ flag for all tests that can support highDPI which would
> probably be a large number of them or we need to create a new flag that
> defines that the test is only good for one certain DPI (i.e. 96dpi). I
> would prefer to create a new flag that is ‘[num]dpi’ where ‘num’ is the
> dpi level that the test will always work.

Agreed that there should be a 96dpi flag. We'd need to go through existing
tests and flag them for that, too, since there's no existing marker for that.

> We also need to update the test suite documentation to note that tests
> should be designed to work in all DPI levels. It currently states that
> the tests can make an assumption that 96dpi will be the default setting
> when rendering tests. (http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/)

Not exactly.. it says that some tests /do/ make an assumption that 96dpi
will be the default setting.. But you're right, it doesn't say that you
shouldn't do this if possible. I'll add that to the documentation.