Re: Media Queries parsing

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2008 10:28:52 +0200
To: "Stewart Brodie" <stewart.brodie@antplc.com>, public-css-testsuite@w3.org

On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 11:53:41 +0100, Stewart Brodie
<stewart.brodie@antplc.com> wrote:
> The empty string is not a valid media specifier according to the syntax
> definition in the specification, so I agree with you there.  However, the
> discrepancy between "" and "," does not feel right.  I don't think you
> can have it both ways - you'd have to modify the syntax for
> media_query_list to permit an empty string for the whole media query and
> define it as being an alias for "all".

The WG decided that @media { ... } was not acceptable and that therefore
HTML and equivalent languages will have to special case media="".

> Did you ever resolve the "not foo" issue?  The issue being whether
> unknown media types are always false, regardless of the 'not', or
> whether this case it true because the not always negates the result of
> evaluating the rest of the query.

"not foo" means the media query in question will be ignored.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>