RE: border spacing issues

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:58:18 -0000
To: "fantasai" <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

Fantasai said:
> The following test is hard to interpret when the text wraps:
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/xhtml1print/t0
> 805-c5516-ibrdr-c-00-a.xht
>
> I've added line-height: 6em; to give the wide border some
> room in that case.

That helps, but makes the description poor to incorrect.  How about the
attached change, which moves the description into the p parent, and
shortens the text within the bordered span so that it should never need
to wrap?  (But keeps the 6em line spacing just in case...)

> The following tests all fail if 'border-spacing' is zero (its
> initial value):
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/xhtml1print/t0
> 805-c5518-brdr-t-01-e.xht
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/xhtml1print/t0
> 805-c5519-brdr-r-01-e.xht
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/xhtml1print/t0
> 805-c5520-brdr-b-01-e.xht
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/xhtml1print/t0
> 805-c5521-brdr-l-01-e.xht
>
> http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/xhtml1print/t0
> 805-c5522-brdr-02-e.xht
>
> For the top and bottom border tests, I added a rule to skip
> one of a pair of adjacent cells so that there is no chance of
> a connection. For the others I added "border-collapse: separate;
> border-spacing: 6px;" to the table.

These look good.

Best wishes,

Melinda