RE: Assumptions about UA default style sheets

From: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 14:22:32 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
CC: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "Grant, Melinda" <melinda.grant@hp.com>, "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

David wrote:

> On Thursday 2007-06-28 12:52 -0700, Arron Eicholz wrote:
> > Could we create a token for cases that may require a default
> > stylesheet? I can't think of any cases that would absolutely require
> > default stylesheet off the top of my head but at least we have a way
> > of identifying those cases if we create a token.
>
> I expect the vast majority require a default style sheet.  We generally
> assume divs are block-level.

I was specifically referring to cases where UA's are different in the application of default because Appendix D is informative and where that difference interferes with the verification of the test. In that case I think there are very few cases that meet both of those conditions.

If you need to create a test that requires that the default setting is consistent across UA's then you have to apply the same default styles or stylesheet. I think it would be appropriate to require that the default that is applied is from the default stylesheet and to mark the case as requiring a default style from appendix D.