RE: Assumptions about UA default style sheets

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 18:58:41 -0000
To: <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

fantasai wrote:
> Not
> only would importing the entire Appendix D stylesheet
> complicate our tests unnecessarily, it won't solve the
> problem where a UA fails because it adds *extra* rules to its
> UA style sheet. Appendix D does not reset everything to its
> initial value.

Doh, the salient point indeed.

Markus said:
> Tests that go beyond the spec need to be agreed upon by the WG.
> I do not want to create a sub-culture where the test suite dictates
> behavior that has not been explained anywhere

Strongly agree. This was my (in this case apparently unfounded) concern.

And fantasai said (and David agreed):
> I would rather continue with the WG's prior decision on this
> issue, which was to deal with it on a case-by-case basis.

Yes; I'm not sure what this really means, but I guess this isn't the
case that will help us work through it. ;-) I'll point the folks in
question to the responses on this list in hopes that will help.

Best wishes,

Melinda