Page/Line Breaking Assumptions

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 14:02:11 -0400
To: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

The CSS2.1 spec for the most part doesn't require any particular line breaking
or page breaking behavior under normal conditions (page-break-*: auto /
white-space: normal). The UA can break at every opportunity or break at none,
but to do a reasonably thorough job of testing many aspects of related parts
of the spec, a lot of tests for the inline box model and page breaking need
to rely on "reasonable" breaking behavior. Melinda and I propose allowing the
following assumptions:

  - Tests may assume reasonable page-breaking behavior; e.g., it is assumed
    that UAs will not break at every opportunity, but only near the end of
    a page unless a page break is forced.

  - Tests may assume reasonable line-breaking behavior; e.g., it is assumed
    that spaces between alphanumeric characters provide line breaking
    opportunities and that UAs will not break at every opportunity, but only
    near the end of a line unless a line break is forced.

If there aren't any objections, I'll add these to the list of assumptions at
   http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/Test/CSS2.1/current/