RE: pixel-based vs. real-word-pased units

From: Grant, Melinda <melinda.grant@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:24:07 -0500
To: "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch>, "Peter Sorotokin" <psorotok@adobe.com>
Cc: <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

Ian said:
>You are correct that the CSS2.1 test suite assumes that the OS is
configured to believe that the display is either a 96dpi display, or a
display whose resolution is "very different from that of a typical
computer display". It makes a series of other assumptions as well,
including the following:

> * The device is a full-color device.
> * The device has a viewport width of at least 640px (approx).
> * The 'medium' font-size computes to 16px.
> * The initial value of 'color' is black.
> * The canvas background is white.
> * The user stylesheet is empty (except where indicated by the tests).
> * The device is interactive and uses scroll bars.

> These are mentioned in the test suite's README file

Another large assumption made by the test suite is that custom fonts are
installable (such as the Ahem font).  You may wish to add this
assumption to the README.  For all of the printer UA's of which I am
aware, this assumption breaks.

Best wishes,
Melinda