RE: pixel-based vs. real-word-pased units

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006, Peter Sorotokin wrote:

> > Not making that assumption breaks all kinds of Web pages. There was a
> > time several years ago where Mac browsers assumed 72dpi, and they were
> > universally having difficulties with important Web sites.
>
> Hey, I am implementing the spec. Does the test suite test the compliance
> with the spec or the ability to render real-world Web content?

The test suite is primarily written by browser vendors and therefore
primarily tests for CSS compliance in a Web context, which includes making
certain assumptions that are required for rendering Web content.

I would be happy to add a flag to the filename to indicate that the test
assumes Web browser characteristics (though that would probably flag most
tests -- all of them, if you consider HTML support to be a Web browser
characteristic). I would also be happy to accept tests that don't make
those assumptions. To contribute such tests, please see:

   http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2006Aug/0000.html

It would be great to get tests from implementors who aren't Web browser
vendors, since, as you imply, that has resulted in a bias in the test
suite so far.