Re: ::first-letter on inlines (ID #180)

From: Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 07:31:55 -0800
To: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
CC: Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, CSS Testsuites <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

On 11/16/05 1:00 PM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

>>> Oh, right, this is one of the things we changed at one point. The
>>> current selectors CR says it applies to all elements; the next draft
>>> (and 2.1) says it doesn't.
>>>
>>> Test fixed.
>>
>> I thought the working group decided that this was a legitimate
>> *addition* in Selectors (but not in 2.1).
>
> We discussed this at the telecon. The consensus was to make :first-letter
> only apply to block-level elements in Selectors this time, for simplicity
> reasons, consistency with 2.1 which is being published around the same
> time, lack of strong use cases,

I will dig out the real world print/layout examples of first-letter effects
on inlines for the next f2f. I thought I had already done this, but I can
check again.

> and because it was felt that had a higher
> chance of being interoperably implemented. However, it was left open as to
> whether we would return to letting :first-letter apply to all elements in
> a future release of the Selectors specification.

I accept this resolution.

My only concern is that we DO NOT put in a test case which shows red for a
UA that *does* support :first-letter on an inline in order to truly leave
open this possibility in a future release of Selectors specification.

Thanks,

Tantek