Re: t0805-c5520-brdr-b-01-e.htm

At 01:10 PM 06/07/2005 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>I guess he would prefer character references for non-ASCII characters.

Correct.

>As discussed in <http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#C047>, this would not be
>a good idea (except for "characters" like &nbsp;).

That section says

>Escapes SHOULD only be used [...] or when the visual representation of the
>character is unclear.

My experience with this page was:

1) Opening it in iCab 3.0.280 under Mac OS 9.1 resulted in different
characters being displayed from those intended.

2) Opening the source in Page Spinner 3.1.2 under Max OS 9.1 resulted in
three garbage characters where the arrows should be.

3) Opening the source in TextPad under Windows XP SP2 resulted in TextPad
claiming these characters are non-ASCII and replacing them with question marks.

4) Opening the source in HTML-Kit under Windows XP SP2 resulted in display
of three garbage characters where the arrows should be.

5) Opera 8.0 under Windows XP SP2 displayed the arrows as intended. So did
Microsoft Word 2002 and Mozilla FireFox 1.0.2.

I got similar results for other pages using the arrows.

So whether or not there is a technical specification for these characters,
in practice they are highly ambiguous using software in widespread use today.

Edward Reid
Art Works by Melynda Reid: http://paleo.org