Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] font-stretch is unfortunately named

On Tue, 2017-02-28 at 13:15 -0800, thundernixon wrote:
> Just to chime in, even though `font-stretch` isn't the only
> unfortunately-name property, it is specifically named as something
> that many designers are trained is a formally terrible thing to do.

"Anyone who would letterspace lower case [blackletter] would steal
sheep, said Fred Goudy. There are actually uses for changing the font
transformation matrix / "stretching", "skewing", "shearing" in the
hands of experts - although, as you point out, this property doesn't
actually take a font and "stretch" it with isotropic scaling, but
rather selects a font with the given set width (or, possibly, and this
clearly needs to be clarified as implementations differ, synthesizes
it
from an OpenType variation axis or by scaling an existing font).

I can imagine introducing a font-width property that only selects and
never synthesizes, and clarifying that font-stretch can synthesize.

I can also imagine introducing a font-transform property and
clarifying
that font-stretch does not synthesize, but that may break some
existing
content (or the change not be implemented) - e.g. AntennaHouse
Formatter synthesizes.

An example of wanting to transform fonts happens when you're applying
2d transform but want the individual glyphs to be unaffected, and
don't
want to (or can't) add additional markup.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by liamquin
Please view or discuss this issue at