Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-align] Add shorthands for alignment properties

On Sat, 2016-11-19 at 12:26 -0800, rchrdnsh wrote:
> Does anybody have a good source on the origin and reasoning behind
> using the word 'justify' in typography and typesetting?

It's been in use for a long time -- e.g. it's in my 1736 copy of
Bailey's dictionary, as well as Jacobi's 1888 dictionary of printing
terms [1], where he describes justifying a stick, or composing-stick.

I'm not sure what the origin was (possibly via the Latin, to make
just,
or to make even, since justification makes the edges of the text even)

but I don't think it would be productive for CSS to try and change it,
even if it were not already in widespread use in CSS. You might as
well
ask why a typeface implementation is called a font and not (as it once
was) a fount, or (as I think it never was) a murder mystery, despite
containing some shady characters.

Liam

[1]
http://words.fromoldbooks.org/Jacobi-PrintersVocabulary/j/justifyin
g-a-stick.html

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam@w3.org>
The World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by liamquin
Please view or discuss this issue at