Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-align][css-grid] Inconsistence on Baseline Alignment terminology for orthogonal flows

On 11/26/2016 02:28 AM, fantasai wrote:
> Okay, I checked in some changes to address this using my best
> recollection of what the WG resolved. :) Let me know if it makes
sense
> yet. 3279299

<https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/commit/32792998144d31de4470a783893f1f960b038e6c>

After analyzing the changes and trying to implement them I've got some
 additional doubts,
let's see if we can clarify them with an example.

> A baseline-sharing group is composed of boxes that participate in
baseline alignment together. This is possible only if they

>     * Share an alignment context along an axis perpendicular to
their baseline alignment axis.
>     * Have compatible baseline alignment preferences (i.e., the
baselines that want to align are on the same side of the alignment
context).

1- What does "baseline alignment axis" exactly mean ? Is it perhaps
the grid axis an alignment property with a <baseline-position> value
applies to ?  (column-axis in case of align-self and row-axis in case
of justify-self)

2- Given that my assumption on the issue 1 is correct, let's consider
the following example:

```
baseline; grid-auto-flow: column;>
```

The 4 grid items should be baseline-aligned in both row and column
axis. In the case of the justify-self baseline, they don't share an
alignment context along the column-axis (perpendicular to the one
justify-self applies to) since they are all placed in different
columns. In the case of the align-self baseline (which operates along
the columns-axis), all the grid items share the same alignment context
 along the row-axis  (1st row), hence they can be baseline aligned
together. Since they are orthogonal to the alignment context, we need
to synthesize a baseline; per resolution on issue #373 we should use
the item's margin-box. The result will be something similar to the
picture shown as follows:

![synthesized-orthogonal-baselines](https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/2230241/20809446/62092a14-b806-11e6-9fe5-9facc095a44d.png)

--
GitHub Notification of comment by javifernandez
Please view or discuss this issue at