Re: a proof method using webauthn/passkeys

I spent some time with this over the weekend.

A few thoughts:

1. Passkeys are authentication keys, so they naturally go in the
"authentication" relationship of a DID Document.
2. You can't get a standard signature from them, so they are not suitable
for VC or Token Issuance use cases IMO.
3. Similar to "sign in with ethereum" use case, a passkey can be used to
delegate to a "real key" that can do more than just authenticate (such as
credential issuance), in this case a custom signature scheme and the use of
"capabilityInvocation" or "capabilityDelegation" makes sense.

I think it's probably worth formalizing the use case for passkey delegation
schemes, and this would require a new signature / proof format... similar
to how ethereum required ES256K-R, which is not the same as ES256K.

With a new signature format, passkey signatures could be used with JOSE and
COSE directly.

Each registered / supported alg would need a post fix to distinguish it
from the "regular / standard" signatures, for example:

ES256-WebAuthN
EdDSA-WebAuthN

Regards,

OS