From: Daniel Hardman <daniel.hardman@evernym.com>
Date: Thursday, January 23, 2020 at 3:34 PM
To: Mike Varley <mike.varley@securekey.com>
Cc: "public-credentials@w3.org" <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Proof flavours in Verifiable Credentials

In theory, the material that's signed in a credential could be double-signed instead of single-signed (once for each style). Indeed, I've done some exploration of that idea, and would be interested in doing more. However, there are subtle issues that make this harder than we'd like. For example, revocation strategies are different between the two credential types. We would also have to guarantee that the semantic content in the two versions is identical; divergence could create some abuse scenarios. Note that ZKP signatures, because they are intended to back proofs of arbitrary sets of fields rather than always the credential as a whole, are more granular than the other type. (I believe the mechanism Workday described at the last IIW is an example that sits partway in between, where it still discloses signatures, but builds a merkle tree of them so individual fields or sets thereof can be attested. A Workday person on this thread will know more.)

In the meantime, the Aries protocol has begun exploring the possibility (but, as Stephen noted, no impls yet) of a single interaction between issuer and holder creating multiple artifacts. Probably this would not be used for things with different semantics; you wouldn't issue a driver's license and a passport in one round trip. But perhaps you would want the same interaction to issue both a V1 and a V2 version of the cred in format X? Or perhaps you would want the same interaction to issue one cred in both formats X and Y?