Re: On JSON-LD with DIDs and VCs

On 1/7/20 1:22 PM, Oliver Terbu wrote:
> Note, that JSON-only processors won't have that issue and you can
> replace "government" with any type of issuers that have an interest
> in the online behavior of the user.

JSON-only processors that don't have an extensibility mechanism will
fail to enable diverse industries to create their own credential types
and will fail in the market. What am I missing?

This isn't purely a JSON vs. JSON-LD issue -- it's a more specific
version of the phone home problem and there are mechanisms (as Orie
deftly outlined in the previous email) that can prevent phone home if a
URL is going to be used to retrieve external information as a part of
the verification process. Note that the spec talks about this very attack:

https://www.w3.org/TR/vc-data-model/#validity-checks

There are also multiple solutions to this specific concern (among the
ones that Orie has already mentioned), but the easiest ones at a higher
level are:

* Wallets should mark VCs as potentially being used to track them if the
  JSON-LD Contexts are not well known.

* Verifiers should reject VCs containing contexts that are not well
  known and/or loaded from a cache.

... and in the very worst case:

* Industry launches a mix-net caching proxy for JSON-LD contexts if this
  really becomes an issue.

Does that answer your question, Oliver?

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches