Re: "anybody can ledgerize" vulnerability

I accept Drummond's nomination.

> On 14 Oct 2019, at 13:16 , =Drummond Reed <drummond.reed@evernym.com> wrote:
>
> I nominate Sam Smith if he's willing to open the issue because his answers on this thread have been spot on. I believe this issue should not only be in the Security Considerations section of the DID spec, but it's important enough to have its own subsection.
>
> =Drummond
>
> On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 10:52 AM Brent Zundel <brent.zundel@evernym.com <mailto:brent.zundel@evernym.com>> wrote:
> Sam,
>
> Thank you for your explanation. And thanks to everyone for this discussion. As the DID Specification work moves forward, I would like to make sure we don't lose track of this concern.
> Would someone be willing to open an issue about it in the working group github repo <https://github.com/w3c/did-spec/issues>? That way the DID WG can try to address it.
>
> On Thu, Sep 19, 2019 at 12:11 PM ProSapien Sam Smith <sam@prosapien.com <mailto:sam@prosapien.com>> wrote:
>
> Some additional comments:
>

> The problem is that the DID Spec in its current form is sufficiently ambiguous that it does not require self-certifiability but implies (dangerously so) that complying with the spec without self-certifiability is sufficient.
>
> Proving control of a DID, i.e., the binding between the DID and the DID Document that describes it, requires a two step process:
>
> Resolving the DID to a DID Document according to its DID method specification.
> Verifying that the id property of the resulting DID Document matches the DID that was resolved.
>

> This issue came up because the did:peer method  was designed to be private and not put on a ledger, however, the current formulation of the did:peer method suffers from the "anyone can ledgerize" vulnerability precisely because it is not self-certifying.  So the ambiguity in the spec is a problem.
>
> For example Veres one goes beyond the specification by ensuring that a fingerprint of the verifiying key pair is in the DID itself. (ie is self-certifiable)
> Quoting Dave Longely:
> "Veres One (v1) protects against this by requiring the DID itself to be
> derived from key material. A Veres One "nym" (short for cryptonym) DID
> must be derived from one of the `capabilityInvocation` keys expressed in
> its associated DID Document. The act of registering the DID requires
> that the DID Document itself be invoked as a capability
> ("self-registration"). This invocation can only be performed by whomever
> controls the private key material associated with a
> `capabilityInvocation` key, and specifically, the DID itself must have a
> fingerprint (or full public key material) that matches that key.
> "
>
> A reasonable interpretation of the spec language allows one to NOT include a fingerprint of the public key from the public/private key pair used to sign the did document in the DID itself.
> [...]

Samuel M. Smith Ph.D.   Founder
smith.sam@prosapien.com
ProSapien LLC
242 East 600 North, Lindon Utah 84042-1662 USA
Office 1.801.768-2769
Mobile 1.801.592.8230
Skype: samuelmsmith
http://www.prosapien.com/

NOTICE: This electronic mail message, together with any attachments contains information
that may be copyrighted, confidential, proprietary, and/or legally privileged of and/or by
ProSapien LLC. This  electronic mail message is intended solely for the use of
the individual or entity originally named as the intended recipient. If you are not the intended
recipient, and have received this message in error, please return immediately this message