Re: Proposed work item: did:key DID Method

On 11/23/19 11:57 AM, Orie Steele wrote:
> Regarding did:peer, this is clearly very different, it does not
> involve storing of events
> (.../peer-did-method-spec/index.html#backing-storage), you can see a
>  comparison in the peer did spec:
> .../peer-did-method-spec/index.html#did-key-and-did-nacl

Yes, what Orie said. We had a long discussion with some of the did:peer
folks before announcing this spec as there was concern that we were
stomping on each others methods, but we later discovered that each has
two very different use cases.

The biggest difference between did:peer and did:key is that did:key is
guaranteed to never have to hit a blockchain when resolving them, there
is no CRDT protocol, there is no out-of-band history. did:key's
resolution is completely deterministic... with all of the upsides and
downsides that come with that approach.

did:key is specifically targeted at ultimate simplicity and ephemeral
interactions.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches