Re: Selective Disclosure

On 5/17/19 12:47 PM, Daniel Hardman wrote:
> I am under the impression that method ii (atomic credentials) and method
> iii (hash) both require the signature to be disclosed. Even if you salt
> the hash, the signature is a strong correlator. Am I right? If so, I
> don't think salting the hash provides much value.
>
> ZKPs allow you to reveal or not reveal a particular field--but the
> particular piece of knowledge that is not revealed, ever, is the
> signature in the original credential. You are proving in zero knowledge
> that you possess a signature, without showing it. I think that in this
> aspect the selective disclosure possibilities of ZKPs do not have an
> analog in methods ii and iii.

It is true that they don't have exactly the same characteristics, but I
don't think that should preclude offering various options.

Yet another selective disclosure option would be a third party that
anonymizes the data and escrows it -- which I believe to be the most
viable option for preventing correlation whilst maintaining trust.

--
Dave Longley
CTO