Re: Trust in Issuers

Understanding the issues and lack of liberty and privacy in many of the
current models, I don't think it's the role of SSID (or decentralization in
general) to "overthrow" current models or try to disallow them in any way
(if that is even possible!), but to offer alternatives where the individual
has more control over their data, and therefore more freedom. I think
verifiable credentials need to allow for a wide range of possible
applications, including schemes where the issuer has some control (either
for business or regulatory purposes). The important is that the model
*allows* full decentralization and self-sovereignty, but it cannot be
enforced IMO. Just enabling the possibility, though, is pretty powerful.

With regard to revocation schemes, I don't think they do much about the
specific case, since there's nothing stopping anyone from issuing "partial
disclosure" credentials, or claims where the full content need to be
retrieved from a centralized source under the issuer's control, regardless
of its revocation status being public or not. I think there're valid use
cases for this type of model, as mentioned before, either for business
(credential monetization schemes) or government/regulatory purposes.

I don't think the capitalist and "predatory" behavior of institutions can
be avoided, but there's the possibility of establishing systems where
control and privacy are shifted towards the individual. If such models are
robust enough, we might also see a shifting of *trust* towards the
decentralized and self-sovereign... I always like to quote Mr. Buckminster
Fuller on this, because I think he's pretty spot on with regard to how
disruption works:

*“You never change things by fighting the existing reality... To change
> something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.” *

As to the statement "Only the government should be allowed the power of
surveillance...", not only I don't see a way the tools for decentralized
identity can be made to fit that constraint, but also there's nothing
ruling out the "predatory" and even rights-violating intent of some (many?)
governments. It's my hope that someday even those levels of surveillance
and authority can be made obsolete. Until then, there's nothing left to do
but to build that which enables freedom and self-sovereignty, and keep
moving forward.

Carlos