Re: Building a bigger tent for DIDs - Are you using a 5-star DID Method?

Greetings,

My quick response to the new DID abstract.

Can somebody (Manu, others) please explain further the specific
implications of did:facebook?

We must assume that if a corporation can gain advantage from
something, they will do it. If Facebook can make use of their own DID
method, they will. If they can write that method to continue doing
exactly what they're doing (including the worst parts of the
surveillance/advertising model), they will.

What, then, will occur when they do that? Will they be able to offer
"identity" to people, deceiving them about what will happen to the
data about them?

Will this same thing happen to people in totalitarian countries? Will
China be able to offer "identity" to people, and get them all to sign
up, and manage their lives using DIDs, even more completely than they
do now?

Facebook+China= 3 billion.

Before proceeding with something that can happen that way, I suggest
we look at the implications more carefully.

I suggest that the discussion be carried on in non-technical language
wherever possible.

I remember Feynman's sincere and long-lasting regret over having
worked on the atomic bomb, and Einstein's statement that for similar
reasons he wished he'd been a clock-maker.

Steven Rowat