Re: Regarding Recovery of verifiable credentials

On 6/28/19 2:06 AM, sethi shivam wrote:
> Hi Team,
> Is there any way to recover my verifiable credentials?
> If I lost my wallet?

That depends on the wallet and its offerings. A wallet application that
resides solely on your device (e.g., personal phone) may have a backup
mechanism that, for example, relies on other agents under your control
or influence. Web-based wallets can't really be "lost", but you could
lose your keys or forget the secrets you need to able to access them.
Both of these approaches may provide a mechanism for recovery.

Users will inevitability lose things -- and we don't want their digital
lives to be uprooted as a result. So we are working on developing
standards such as Secure Data Hubs that will allow you to store your
verifiable credentials and other data encrypted in the cloud. In
addition, we are also working on a standard called "Web KMS" that can
help you keep track of and protect your keys.

Both of these technologies aim to help users shield themselves against
"losing" their verifiable credentials and keys -- in a standard way so
that applications can interop.

> And if yes, then do I need to rely on the issuer for that?

It depends. As noted above, there are technologies that can help without
having to rely upon the issuer. There may be certain offerings or
catastrophic scenarios under which you will have to go back to the
issuer to be reissued verifiable credentials.

--
Dave Longley
CTO