Re: What’s after DIDs?

On 7/30/19 8:23 AM, Henry Story wrote:

>> On 30 Jul 2019, at 13:16, Henry Story <henry.story@gmail.com
>> <mailto:henry.story@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> Would it be possible to make a minor extension to HttpSignature
>> so that one can use https WebIDs [0] just as a way to get a simple
>> thing going? That could be completely compatible with DIDs, but
>> would allow one to get going in cases where one does not need
>> all of the extra goodies that DIDs give one.
>>
>> I did some work on that to implement a server side HTTP-Signatures
>> and before that I worked on how one could use JS Crypto to create
>> keys in the browser.
>

> Actually I think one could get the two to get quite close by adding a
> notion of a KeyId ie perhaps an URI for a key that could be linked to
> a WebID. One could then have
>
> - https:// KeyIds. These could be located in the WebID Profile,
> in a different document on the same server, or perhaps even on
> a different server.
> - or dids.
>
> A WebID could point to the KeyID or DID (or perhaps these are
> the same?), and authentication using Https Signature could then
> pass both in the header. The DID for authentication, the WebID for
> social network type identifier, and the link from the WebID  to the
> Did/KeyId in the Profile Document would be the proof.

My understanding is that HTTP signatures already supports something like
WebID-style authentication. Just use a URI for the `keyId` parameter.

We already use HTTP signatures in conjunction with LD proofs and DIDs.
To my knowledge, it wouldn't work any differently if the `keyId` pointed
at a key that resolved to a document that referenced a WebID as its
`controller`. You'd then dereference that WebID to ensure its profile
document had an appropriate back link to the key. (This is generally how
LD proofs work, so it is agnostic to DIDs or WebIDs).

--
Dave Longley
CTO