Re: Secure Data Hubs specification released

Speaking form a privacy perspective:

Can someone help me understand how the "data hub controller" works? Most of
what I see is about the storage agent and maybe the storage provider. I
imagine that the storage agent and provider entities are 'data processors"
under GDPR, liable for security but not privacy. The GDPR data controller
role is where privacy comes in.

From the controller (and privacy) perspective a Requesting Party brings:
- credentials,
- a scope of data requested, and \
- a description of proposed data use.

The controller may:
- issue an authorization token matched to a particular data processor
- request additional credentials
- modify the scope of the request
- fail because it doesn't understand the data use or doesn't agree with the
credentials / scope / use triplet.

For privacy by default, the controller should not actually see or touch the
data itself although, of course, a security breach at the controller would
allow an accomplice to see the data.

Also, the focus of the document on encryption makes privacy analysis more
difficult. It would be much easier to understand what's going on if
encryption was kept in the DID / VC documents and as a separate document
for the storage agent and providers. The OAuth specs are much simplified by
the assumption of TLS for all messages. Can TLS or the equivalent be used
the same way in the SSI designs or do we need to factor things differently?

Adrian

--

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: https://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-3/