Re: DID identifiers have a dependency on w3id.org

On 2/25/19 9:15 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> From my original post, not sure how well cut and paste will work on
> email -- here's trying :
>
> "The value of this key /MUST/ be the URL for the generic DID context:
> |https://w3id.org/did/v1"|

I expect that text will change to:

"""

The value of this key MUST be the URL for this version of the DID Context:

https://www.w3.org/2019/did/v1
"""

> DID method specifications /MAY/ define their own JSON-LD contexts.

I expect that we will change this to something like:

"""
DID Method specifications MAY define their own JSON-LD Contexts that
layer on top of the Base DID Context by placing them after the entry for
https://www.w3.org/2019/did/v1.
"""

> However it is /NOT RECOMMENDED/ to define a new context unless
> necessary to properly implement the method. Method-specific contexts
> /MUST NOT/ override the terms defined in the generic DID context.

I expect we'll change this to something like:

"""
Method-specific contexts MUST NOT override the terms defined in the
generic DID context.
"""

We may remove the "NOT RECOMMENDED" language because it's highly
unlikely that DID Methods will do a vanilla DID spec implementation.
Folks will want to differentiate their DID Methods and will need to
extend the base DID context in order to do that. After the dust settles,
and we're working on DID v2, we'll figure out which features are common
enough between the various DID methods and put those features into a DID
v2 context. Given the JSON-LD Context design pattern that's been
outlined in this thread, this should be easily achievable.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches