Re: Implication of building storage around DIDcomm [Was:] DID USER AGENTS

Adrian:

I am mostly content to let the conversation focus on the question you posed
("applied separately") --but I feel compelled to note a false mental model
that might grow up around your framing. To be clear, this is a tangent to
your main question, though.

HTTPS and DIDComm may represent opposite choices with respect to root of
trust, but treating them as direct equivalents is a misleading
simplification. DIDComm can (and in most impls, does) run over HTTP or
HTTPS (1.0, 1.1, or 2.0); deciding that you want these transports doesn't
mean you've decided that DIDComm is irrelevant. DIDComm over HTTP(s) just
means that the payloads of your POSTs are DIDComm JSON messages instead of
some other JSON envelope, custom-invented for a particular problem domain.
So a more insightful framing might be certs-and-sessions vs. DIDComm, with
HTTP being orthogonal.

The set of addressable use cases with DIDComm is bigger than the set
addressable with HTTPS, because it solve additional problems. With HTTPS,
the security is an attribute of the transport; configure the transport
badly, and the security vanishes. (As we all know to our chagrin, this
frequently happens with self-signed and expired certs.) With DIDComm,
security is an attribute of the messages, and transports are incidental.
Also, HTTP(s) is inherently client/server and request/response and 2-party
and more-or-less synchronous. DIDComm is peer-to-peer and not necessarily
request/response (though it supports that style of interaction) and not
necessarily 2-party, and not particularly synchronous. Thus:

   - If you want to support interactions over sneakernet (thumb drives,
   plain old files) and BlueTooth and SMTP and FTP and WebSockets and SSE and
   XMPP and AMQP--or if you want mixed transports (Alice sends to Bob over
   HTTP, and an intermediary translates to the BlueTooth on Bob's phone for
   the last leg), you need DIDComm or something like it. (Or you can use HTTPS
   when the transport is HTTP, and invent entirely different protocols for the
   other transports.)
   - If you want a request or response for data to be processable at a time
   far removed from the other half of the interaction (you request data in
   June, and the data is emitted to you then, but you are vacationing offline;
   you come back in July but the website is down, yet you can open the
   response and process the data you asked for--how email works), you need
   DIDComm or something like it.
   - If you want to support more than 2 parties without centralizing in a
   web server (or replicated pool thereof) that all the other parties must use
   as a rendezvous point, you need DIDComm or something like it.

There is no doubt in my mind that we could build secure data hubs using
just HTTPS. I think the result would be a modest improvement on today's
Google Drive/DropBox/iCloud. It would still depend on large institutions to
broker access (because they're the ones with always-on web servers and high
reputation from CAs)--and because of this, its observability would be high,
and its privacy guarantees would be weaker than I'd like. Encryption on the
wire and at rest doesn't change this. Because the security of such an
approach wouldn't be strongly tied to DID control, I don't see it bringing
about much change in the trust dynamic or the self-sovereignty outcome over
today's status quo. It would only work online, not peer-to-peer in offline
mode. But it would work just fine within its narrow mandate, and it would
be relatively easy to build.

I will cheerfully nod to people who head off down that path, but a spec
that forces me there is DOA with respect to my roadmap.