Re: DIDs available by satellite. A curiosity, an exploration.

From: Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@lifewithalacrity.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2019 16:34:00 -0800
To: "Tedesco, Evan" <Evan.Tedesco@dish.com>
Cc: Brent Shambaugh <brent.shambaugh@gmail.com>, Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>, David Hoffman <dhoffman32@gmail.com>, Mike Lodder <mike@sovrin.org>, Sam Mathews Chase <samantha@venn.agency>, Wolf McNally <wolf@wolfmcnally.com>
On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 3:23 PM Tedesco, Evan <Evan.Tedesco@dish.com> wrote:

> ​I work for Dish wireless(we work closely with Echostar & Hughes net among
> others).  I have been noodling on resolving DIDs via satellite for a while
> now as a solution for getting Identity access to the less fortunate
> regions and here is my $.02 on it.
>
> 1) To really be able to resolve DIDs globally via Satellite you would need
> the associated (non-terrestrial)spectrum licenses to transmit the packets.

Blockstream Satellite cheaply rents space on a number of existing video
satellite using spare bandwidth, and gets worldwide coverage. A lot cheaper
than you think. Well within a funded startup’s budget. I’ve even
investigated having my benefit not-for-profit organization Blockchain
Commons replicate this capability if we could get sufficient sponsors.

It basically transmits the Bitcoin blockchain to anyone with about $150
worth of parts, a used commodity satellite dish and an old computer (mine
is circa 2011) to run the gnu radio software modem. All the hardware
requirements and the software are here:
https://github.com/Blockstream/satellite

Blockstream Satellite also supports sending of messages as a micropayment
service for satoshi (fractions of a cent) leveraging the Lightning network.
Here are recent messages sent. Some are encrypted and some are plaintext.
https://blockstream.com/satellite-queue/

You can also use goantenna mesh network with it
https://blockstream.com/2019/05/11/en-gotenna-satellite-api-integration/

— Christopher Allen [via iPhone]