From: Liam McCarty <liam@unumid.org>
Sent: August 23, 2019 1:26 PM
To: public-vc-comments@w3.org; public-credentials@w3.org
Subject: International identity data standards?

Hi all,

Is there work being done to create international standards for identity data? For example, it would clearly be valuable to have standards for common data points like name, address, phone number, etc. If not that, it'd be helpful to at least have standardized mappings between different regional formats.

I've done some preliminary research and discovered groups like the NIEM (National Information Exchange Model, which is U.S.-based) and UPU (Universal Postal Union), but not anything more comprehensive. If international standards already exist, could someone point me in the right direction?

If not, creating international identity data standards seems like a natural extension of the work on DIDs and VCs. Would love to help kickstart that if people would find it useful.

Liam McCarty
Co-Founder of ePluribus<https://epluribus.io>, Unum ID<https://unumid.org>