Re: Identity Hubs and Agents

There is an interesting (and challenge) taxonomic issue here.

One thing I'd like to say just briefly: software agents cannot act as fiduciaries.
Only legal persons can do that. I'm not sure the best alternative term,
but data and information fiduciaries are one of the more important
elements of privacy/agency that we are still figuring out. Lawyers,
CPAs, and doctors are all fiduciaries, with an obligation to put their principal's
interest first--and the obligations of each are highly differentiated and
regulated both by law and by practice (enforced by professional code).

It's also worth noting the term user-agent, which is the accepted
term for software, like your web browser, which acts "hand-in-glove"
to execute the direction of the user. These are clearly not autonomous
(although they can run autonomous apps).

I have a feeling what Bill meant by fiduciaries was not user agents, but
something more subtle.

A few questions for the folks building with agents as we are talking about:

1. In all of these cases, is it correct to say that the "agent" uses some
 key material to act on behalf of its controller?

2. Do the relevant actions occur "automatically" or autonomously
 once configured?

3. In some cases, these keys may have attenuated delegation, correct?
 Which is to say that different agents have different privileges.

4. Are there any cases under consideration where the agent (or
 perhaps the firm who created or runs the agent) accepts legal liability
 for its actions?

These appear to be good terms for modifying the generic term
"agent". I'm not sure what those modifying adjectives might be, but we would
do well to find terms that clarify we don't mean other kinds of agents. Key agent?
Escrow agent? Autonomous agents? Empowered Agents? Cryptographic agents?

Delegated Autonomous Cryptographic Agents?

-j

--
Joe Andrieu, PMP joe@legreq.com
LEGENDARY REQUIREMENTS +1(805)705-8651