Re: Prioritizing Individual Sovereignty over Interoperability

On 2019-04-26 3:18 pm, Daniel Hardman wrote:
> Regarding #2, I wonder about introducing the notion that DID methods
> must support an independent audit capability that updates the DID
> Trust Context of the audited method. This might give captive and
> surveillance-oriented ecosystems pause, because the audit could be
> structured in such a way that all dirty laundry gets aired.

This seems attractive in theory; except if I understand the proposal
correctly doesn't it lead to the question "who performs the
independent audit"? Isn't it turtles all the way down? --someone
independent is then needed to audit the auditor, etc. ?

Unless what you mean by 'independent audit capability' is an
algorithm; one that analyses the degree to which the Trust Context is
satisfied by the method, and that algorithm is set up as part of the
specification itself?

Perhaps that could work, but it might be difficult to technically set
up (in my non-expert opinion; maybe that's not true), and also hard to
get consensus on. But maybe not impossible?

Steven