Re: Materials from 2019-04-11 combined DID Spec and DID Resolution Spec meeting

I believe that if you look at the DID Use Cases document, https://w3c-ccg.github.io/did-use-cases/, in the requirements section you'll see a lot of points related to survivability, but not necessarily portability/substitutability. There are some that are close, but it isn't obvious. That's probably an oversight.

In the VC use case driven requirements https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#use-cases-and-requirements, we were explicit about the need for the holder's freedom to use any agent software they like.

> Holders <https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#dfn-holders> can interact with any issuer <https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#dfn-issuers> and any verifier <https://w3c.github.io/vc-data-model/#dfn-verifier> through any user agent.

The verifiability is NOT dependent on the wallet.

We really should include that requirement in the DID work. The math and the network are what relying parties should be checking for. The truth is, you can NEVER trust the client/user-agent. That's the whole point of keys and DLTs, they provide a way around that.

So I would go further than Drummond and suggest that we advocate for interoperability requirements that prevent white-listing specific instances of software. IMO, that way lies madness.

The current approach is parallel to the data model & syntax approach of VCs, so we can't require that any given software do anything in particular, but we can require that the data model and resulting capabilities must work, regardless of which agent is performing the related step.

Kim-- we should figure out how to integrate this into the use case document.

-j

--
Joe Andrieu, PMP
joe@joeandrieu.com