Re: Materials from 2019-04-11 combined DID Spec and DID Resolution Spec meeting

Does 1b really matter? How I come to present my license to the TSA
inspector does not matter now.

Adrian

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 2:09 AM Luca Boldrin <luca.boldrin@infocert.it>
wrote:

> In a recent discussion with Digicert on the role of CAs in this setting,
> we came to a fully overlapping view:
>

>    1. Trust on the infrastructure, which may be further split into
>       1. Trust on some underlying registry providing a common
>       infrastructure - This is the new element introduced by
>       permissioned/unpermissioned ledgers. (DID method)
>       2. trust on the sw dealing with personal information (wallet,
>       agent) - This is similar to the role of browsers
>    2. trust on the information, which may be further split into
>       1. trust on the identity of VC issuers (is universityX really
>       universityX?)– This is the traditional role for CAs
>       2. trust on the VC issuer himself (given that universityX is
>       universityX, can I trust it?)– this is a personal choice, which may be
>       supported by domain specific agreements.
>

> The playing field between is “mega VC issuers” and “small distributed VC
> issuers” is probably on 2.b.
>
> We believe that 2.a is functional to trust on small distributed issuers,
> since under some regulatory setting the certainty of the identity (2.a)
> supports the enforcement of liability, which is an essential component of
> trust. Mega VC issuers do not need that, they are well-known…
>
> Best,
>
> --luca

Adrian Gropper MD

PROTECT YOUR FUTURE - RESTORE Health Privacy!
HELP us fight for the right to control personal health data.
DONATE: https://patientprivacyrights.org/donate-3/