Re: Materials from 2019-04-11 combined DID Spec and DID Resolution Spec meeting

Luca, this is especially meaningful coming from a CA whose whole business
is exactly this kind of trust infrastructure.

Since Luca mentioned it, I'm happy to also point out a factor that was
never really involved with the centralized or federated IDP models: in
the decentralized identity model, governance frameworks can actually
specify the authorized issuers. For example, the CULedger governance
framework will authorize credit unions around the world to issue MyCUID
credentials of credit union membership. And that governance framework will
piggyback on top of the KYC that a credit union is required to do today
before accepting a new member.

I don't see the Googles and Facebooks of the world being able to issue that
kind of a credential anytime soon. So the decentralized identity model will
let us move back much closer to the diffuse sources of trust we have in the
offline world rather than the very concentrated sources of trust we
currently have in the digital world.