Re: JSON-LD vs JWT for VC

On 10/25/2018 06:24 PM, Dean Kevin Poulsen wrote:
> A friend who is on the mailing list forwarded the following message
> to me.  It’s of particular interest to me because I’ve recently
> submitted proposed changes to the format for signed JSON-LD.  I
> submitted the suggestion to the email posted at this page:
> https://w3c-dvcg.github.io/ld-signatures/  However, I haven’t heard a
> response and there no longer seems to be any activity on this
> standard.

Your email never made it to the mailing list:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-digital-verification/

... most likely because you're not an official member of the group and
haven't signed the Intellectual Property Release agreement:

https://www.w3.org/community/about/agreements/cla/

You need to do that before you send stuff to us that you may or may not
have a patent on so that we can consider it at all. The Web can only
include technologies that are provided on a patent and royalty-free
basis and sometimes folks try to poison groups/specs with patented material.

As such, this is the first time all of us have actually seen your
request and we can't consider it until you submit it under the groups
IPR agreement. Please agree to the policy by joining the group:

https://github.com/w3c-ccg/w3c-ccg.github.io/blob/master/joining.md

> After identifying the problems and discussing them with colleagues,
> it seems that this format evolved from XML, which does have
> canonicalization.

No, that's not what JSON-LD evolved from. We are aware of XML and
canonicalization and folks that worked on that stuff over 20+ years ago
participating in the group, but it would be a mistake to draw any
parallels without deeply understanding the different design directions
taken.

> Since I haven’t received a response from those who created the signed
> JSON-LD format, I’m attaching my proposed revision.

Please don't expose the group to intellectual property that you haven't
already released your rights to.

Everyone else on the mailing list: DO NOT ENGAGE until Dean joins the group.

I know this may sound very restrictive Dean, but there are patent trolls
that regularly try to sneak their technology into open standards and we
have to be vigilant to not allow that to happen and endanger the future
of the Web as a result.

> I’ve been interested in attending the Monday meetings of the VCWG,
> but haven’t yet.  I hope you find this useful, and I’d like to
> participate when I can.

Meetings are Tuesdays (not Mondays), and the dial in details are here:

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/

We'd love for you to join the group, participate, and consider your
improvements, Dean. :)

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches