Re: Questions about DIDs and Identity Credentials

Sent from my iPhone

> On Oct 18, 2018, at 3:13 PM, Moses Ma <moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> Hi gang,
>
> One issue I've had is an unclear distinction of what is verifiable, the delivery of a credential/claim or the credential/claim itself? Verifiable credentials works because it's usually the issuer, like a University, which is verifying the underlying academic credential.
>
> This is not so clear with a verifiable claim... is the delivery being verified (like an IBM "cryptolope") or is the underlying claim being verified by some sort of attestation or number of attestations? Is this claim being made by a third party? Is it a claim that has been authorized for transfer, like the right to pick up a prescription from the pharmacy? Is there a legal attestation attached to the claim? If the claim is being issued by an autonomous software process, such as a smart contract oracle, how do we verify that this oracle has not been hacked?
>
> For this reason, at my company, we refer to "verifiable claims" as "trust objects". They may or may not be "verified" by a verified source, they may or may not be backed up with a legal attestation, they may or may not whatever. These "atomic trust markers and datapoints" can be aggregated via a probabilistic convolution to assess an overall trustability assessment of a user that holds the DID to which these objects/claims are associated.
>
> Anyway, my two cents...
>
> Moses
>
> PS, it was fun working with y'all in Toronto!
>
> PPS, I have an observation based on months of participation in this group that I'd like to share, as an "innovation coach". This group does a pretty good job of co-inspiring ideation, but I have noticed a persistent level of negative feedback for proffered suggestions. I wanted to urge everyone here to provide ONLY positive feedback

While this sounds like a good idea.

This community has been thriving for a long time, in part because we are critical of each other. These critiques are part of how we bond, connect and challenge each other to do better.

I find the east coast cultures what suppress critique, to “be nice”, “save face”, have people not feel uncomfortable stifling and toxic in their own way.

I agree things can go far the other way. To extreme and harsh criticism that is relentless. Also toxic.

I don’t think that is our dynamic.

- Kaliya