RE: DIDs and University Use Cases (was Re: Seeking to update Decentralized Identity related slides)

I did consider the recipient side.
U of I signs the transcript they send to the recipient.  Sounds pretty secure.
Any *only* their  signature really seems to be needed here.   They (obviously) have a relationship with the student, so IDing the student isn’t a problem.

From: Kim Hamilton Duffy <kim@learningmachine.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 07, 2018 1:53 PM
To: Snorre Lothar von Gohren Edwin <snorre@diwala.io>
Cc: Challener, David C. <David.Challener@jhuapl.edu>; kevin@kiva.org; Moses Ma <moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com>; swcurran@cloudcompass.ca; markus@danubetech.com; Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Subject: DIDs and University Use Cases (was Re: Seeking to update Decentralized Identity related slides)

Good idea Snorre; this is how we usually do it. (just subject rename)

David: you've considered the issuer side; now think about the recipient side.

On Wed, Nov 7, 2018 at 10:36 AM Snorre Lothar von Gohren Edwin <snorre@diwala.io<mailto:snorre@diwala.io>> wrote:
Can someone explain to me what the procedure of taking this to another thread is?[https://app.prosperworks.com/tp/t/NzMzNDc5fHx8fHwyNTU0NTJ8fHx8fDE1NDE2MTU1NTQzODM=/space.gif?creator=snorre@diwala.io]
I would like to answer David, but to not clutter up the current reason.
It might be a good discussion to exactly why DIDs are needed in this use case.
It was once again just an answer directly to me so I would like to create a new thread or discussion arena on it.
Transparency for the win 🎉

"No – just trying to understand.
I would think there are a lot of ways to fix this including:

1)     A webpage with a digital pub key for the university that can be used to look up a transcript (password given to user)

2)     Digital signature over the transcript
A quick note – it appears the university of Illinois is doing 2), sent at the request of the student to the place they have asked.

DiDs don’t seem to be required. (U of I isn’t using them).

Why does the admin have to take 6 months every time they get the piece of paper with the shiny stickers? I assume that fraud is a real problem in this country, and phones don’t work for some reason (call the university and ask if the GPA/ major, and a few other things on the doc are correct), but this still seems really excessive.

I do know of cases where people got a job saying they had a degree they did not have – but I just assumed that HR didn’t do due diligence."