Call for Focal DID Use Cases

  Hi Joe,

  We have been working with you to develop two use cases around user safety/privacy, and are thinking of adding a third. I thought I’d share this with the community:

  Use Case #1: In October 2017, at least 34 people have been arrested in Egypt as part of an expanding crackdown on the gay and transgender community. The crackdown was enabled by Egyptian police who used social media, gay dating apps and other websites to identify and target gay and transgender activists. If people could use pseudonymous Decentralized IDs linked to a new kind of reputation, it would (a) safeguard the identities of gay and transgender people exercising personal freedom, (b) provide a system for preventing entrapment, and (c) offer a community driven system to report abuses yet honors the human condition.

   Use Case #2: To enable greater privacy for ICO investors. There are certain repressive regimes where investing in ICOs could lead to government sanctioned extortion. Their ID must be safeguarded just as securely as the person in Use Case #1 above.   Please see: https://github.com/WebOfTrustInfo/rebooting-the-web-of-trust-spring2018/blob/master/topics-and-advance-readings/self-sovereign-compliance.md where some of these ideas are introduced.

   Use Case #3: We’re developing a use case around DID usage with mobile telephony. This is part of my work with HTC around their announced “blockchain phone” which will embed DID capabilities. See:   https://thenextweb.com/hardfork/2018/05/15/htc-blockchain-powered-phone/

  Moses

-

Moses Ma | NextGEN Ventures Inc

moses@ngenven.com | moses.ma@futurelabconsulting.com

v  +1.415.952.7888 (tel:+1.415.952.7888)  | m  +1.415.568.1068 (tel:+1.415.568.1068)  | skype mosesma