W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > May 2018

[MINUTES] W3C Credentials CG Call - 2018-05-15 12pm ET

From: <kim@learningmachine.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 14:18:08 -0700
Message-Id: <1526505488095.0.42216@Kims-MacBook-Pro.local>
To: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Thanks to Heather Vescent for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Credentials CG telecon are now available:

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2018-05-15/

Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Credentials CG Telecon Minutes for 2018-05-15

Agenda:
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2018May/0030.html
Topics:
  1. Introductions and Reintroductions
  2. Reminders
  3. Progress on Current Action Items
  4. Status of Work Items
  5. Call for DID Focal Use Cases
  6. DID issues working session
Action Items:
  1. create DID resolver spec but coord with DIF
  2. resolve current action  in DID spec
  3. chairs figure out when to schedule a "use case process" 
    session
Organizer:
  Kim Hamilton Duffy and Joe Andrieu and Christopher Allen
Scribe:
  Heather Vescent
Present:
  Heather Vescent, Joe Andrieu, Dmitri Zagidulin, Nate Otto, Dave 
  Longley, Kim Hamilton Duffy, Lucas Parker, Kayode Ezike, 
  Christopher Allen, Ryan Grant, Chris Webber, Mike Lodder, Manu 
  Sporny, John Jordan, David Challener, Adam Lake, Benjamin Young, 
  Dan Burnett, Anthony Ronning, David Chadwick, David I. Lehn, 
  Bohdan Andriyiv, Jeff Orgel, Matt Stone, Ted Thibodeau, Tzviya 
  Siegman, Yancy Ribbens
Audio:
  https://w3c-ccg.github.io/meetings/2018-05-15/audio.ogg

Heather Vescent is scribing.
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  IP policy review.

Topic: Introductions and Reintroductions

Joe Andrieu: Are there any new folks?
Introductions & Reintros: David Chadwick: (choppy)
  ... worked on VC for a few years (choppy) hospital systems on 
  mobile phones using VC
Mike Lodder: Audio is choppy
Reminders: Consensus is in NY going on.

Topic: Reminders

Joe Andrieu:  Moses organized drinks last night. Want to see the 
  new HTC DID phone.
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  MyData in Helsinki in August. Status: 
  Working w. Markus into a talk. 3 presenters will talk about 
  identifiers, the ecosystem. Kim will try to do a quick survey of 
  DID methods.
Summer DID Outreach: Have we decided on when the outreach will 
  happen? JoeA: The week of the 16th (Month??)

Topic: Progress on Current Action Items

Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/community/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3A%22action+item%22
Joe Andrieu:  Two Helsinki things: Panel (work item), the 
  not-panel thing.
Christopher Allen:  No update on the not-panel thing. Maybe it's 
  a SSI keynote talk. Possibly Saturday after could be SSI salon 
  rebooting style. Nothing confirmed.
Manu Sporny:  2 Updates. 1) Registry's process: PRs for both. 
  2)TPAC prep. What to do at TPAC and what to do before TPAC (RWOT 
  related). Coordination needs to be done. On fast timeline due to 
  communication delays with W3C folks. Recommend to have a pow-wow 
  on this topic to ensure no issues/concerns.
Joe Andrieu:  TPAC has a prelim schedule. We are schedule for 
  Tuesday (asked for 1:30 timeslot).

Topic: Status of Work Items

Christopher Allen: Which week & where is TPAC?
Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/community/blob/master/work_items.md
Kim Hamilton Duffy:  It's in Lyon, France 22-26 Oct. 
  https://www.w3.org/2018/10/TPAC/Overview.html
Joe Andrieu: TPAC: https://www.w3.org/wiki/TPAC/2018
Joe Andrieu:  Final draft of Amira into Shannon for edits and 
  then publish.
Manu Sporny:  OCAP - putting OCAP into customer systems. Nothing 
  to share publicly yet. But is going into pilot into production 
  systems.

Topic: Call for DID Focal Use Cases

Kim Hamilton Duffy: 
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2018May/0012.html
Christopher Allen: Manu off his head last week had a good start, 
  but we didn’t quite captured it in scribe.
Joe Andrieu:  Use Cases: partial response from Moses and Dan G. 
  Post something simple to mailing list.
  ... looking for a few good use cases. Please use this 
  framework.
  ... JoeA will work to fill in the gaps for the use cases.
John Jordan: Joe we are working on one here in BC
  ... if you are using DIDs for something, then submit it.
Heather Vescent:  Is the only way to contribute with use cases to 
  come up with them on their own? [scribe assist by Kim Hamilton 
  Duffy]
Heather Vescent:  I'd rather collaborate with people [scribe 
  assist by Kim Hamilton Duffy]
David Challener: I agree!!
Heather Vescent:  We've talked about putting stuff in stories, 
  but this is like throwing them over the fence [scribe assist by 
  Kim Hamilton Duffy]
Joe Andrieu:  I'm happy to work with you [scribe assist by Kim 
  Hamilton Duffy]
Heather Vescent:  Maybe a call to put some structure in place 
  [scribe assist by Kim Hamilton Duffy]
Heather Vescent:  Could collaborate on further developing 
  half-baked use cases [scribe assist by Kim Hamilton Duffy]
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Joe
Joe Andrieu:  That's what we're doing here? [scribe assist by Kim 
  Hamilton Duffy]
Christopher Allen:  There are 2 targets (external DID submission) 
  small and non-controversial and then Internal that will cover 
  more ground.
Christopher Allen:  3 Issues. 2 targets: 1 is external for DID 
  submission, 1 for ourselves internally (can be more verbose). 
  [scribe assist by Kim Hamilton Duffy]
  ... JoeA is collecting what we already know as an initial list.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: +1 For time to discuss; I've never really 
  done use case creation before
Kim Hamilton Duffy: At least in a context like this
Christopher Allen:  Good to do this as a group discussion on one 
  of these calls later.
John Jordan:  Are working on a use case, to understand how it is 
  possible for a person to pass DID control over to a business.
David Challener: Delegation?
John Jordan: Ddc ... yes we are tackling delegation of authority 
  ...
Intros: Samantha on the call. Work in a lot of industries and 
  passionate about SSI and Data Sovereignty. Want to help with the 
  stories and use cases. People can reach out to me on the thread 
  (where is this thread?)
Manu Sporny:  Hearing confusion over the process. How to get 
  these ideas into a document. Goals 1) push into the W3C process 
  (hard deadline 1-2 months) 2) covering the space with various use 
  cases.
  ... there are new people who haven't participated in the 
  creation of use cases before. Suggestion to give people an 
  overview of the process.
  ... 2) we are at the brainstorming/ideation phase. We need to 
  get some things to talk about. JoeA is asking people to submit 
  those ideas now. The idea is we will end up talking in time, but 
  we have to hit this hard deadline.
How do I raise a hand?
You do q and a plus
David Challener:  Work at the Applied Physics lab. The use cases 
  selected need to show why the existing digital signature 
  standards don't work.
  ... I haven't understood why a new standard is necessary based 
  on reading those use cases.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Dcc -- what's your name again, so we can add 
  you to attendees?
Manu Sporny:  We're talking about DID use cases here - not VC use 
  cases.
David Challener: David Challener

Topic: DID issues working session

Kim Hamilton Duffy: Subtopic: DID service naming and 
  identification
David Challener: Manu ..... Thanks!
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/issues/72
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Pull request: 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/pull/75
Manu Sporny:  Has found a cleaner way using the ID. This PR can 
  simplify the algo, while keeping previous abilities of service 
  descriptions.
  ... simplify the service description syntax.
Christopher Allen:  Q for Manu. Are these defined in method 
  specs?
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Subtopic: DID Document versioning
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Should a DID Document have a version number? 
  Proposal is to make this a part of the DID Method, not the DID 
  spec.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Reference: 
  https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/issues/64
Manu Sporny:  It's in a service description spec
Christopher Allen:  Do we have an example?
Manu Sporny:  Not yet
Tx dlongley
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/issues/64
Bohdin, Manu has more comments.
Manu Sporny:  The problem - you need to refer to a specific 
  version of a DID doc in time (eg 6 years ago). You need to refer 
  to that *version* of the DID document.
  ... how do you address this? One way, can put a version in the 
  DID doc itself. Other way, can associate with metadata. Third, 
  allow DID methods how to do versioning. Some examples might not 
  have versions.
  ... it's up to the DID method on how to do versioning.
Ryan Grant: +1 To method-specific versioning, where all DID 
  methods are required to address versioning.
Bodin: it doesn't need to be in the general DID spec.
Dmitri Zagidulin:  Any interest in standardizing the results of 
  the DID document?
Christopher Allen:  Could be useful. Not sure about having a 
  standard, but some base metrics. e.g. the metadata should have 
  information about last update of the DID.
Ryan Grant: This could also be a schema.org sub-schema
  ... in some cases metadata information might be stored (if 
  secure for that).
Ryan Grant:  Re: versioning, is there any one thing the DID spec 
  should not require?
Dmitri Zagidulin: +1 To a separate resolver spec
Kim Hamilton Duffy: +1
Dave Longley: +1
Manu Sporny:  Addressing a bunch of comments: we need a resolver 
  spec. We have a section about DID resolution. Suggest: remove 
  this from the spec and create a new working item to discuss this 
  metadata.
Christopher Allen: +1
Manu Sporny:  DIF is working on the resolver. Are they working on 
  a specification??? Might want to reach out to Markus and DIF re: 
  this topic.
Ryan Grant: Is the DID spec useful without this resolver issue 
  handled?

ACTION: create DID resolver spec but coord with DIF


ACTION: resolve current action  in DID spec

Christopher Allen: We will need lead(s) and a summary for 
  approving a new resolver spec
Manu Sporny: Rgrant, it's not a "useful" question... it's more 
  like splitting the specs up in a layered fashion.
Kim Hamilton Duffy: Subtopic: Extensibility
Kim Hamilton Duffy: https://github.com/w3c-ccg/did-spec/issues/58
Manu Sporny:  Added a section on how extensibility works in the 
  DID spec
  ... borrowed from VC WG
Dave Longley: This all depends on whether or not the semantics of 
  what you do understand can *change* based on what you don't 
  understand
Dave Longley: And i recommend that we attempt to prohibit that 
  (go for monotonicity of logic when doing extensibility)

ACTION: chairs figure out when to schedule a "use case process" 
  session

Dave Longley:  +1, Wholly agreed about monotonicity [scribe 
  assist by Dmitri Zagidulin]
Dave Longley:  Agree w/ ChristopherA. (more, just listen to the 
  audio notes)
Chris Webber: +1000
Manu Sporny: +1 To that!
Dave Longley:  Is there a JSON-LD notion of "complete coverage of 
  terms"? [scribe assist by Ryan Grant]
Christopher Allen: +1 Monotonic assumption
Received on Wednesday, 16 May 2018 21:18:37 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 11 July 2018 21:19:47 UTC